- RCC (Reinforced Cement Concrete) column is a structural member of RCC frame structured building. It’s a vertical member which transfers loads from slab and beam directly to subsequent soil.
- Material used in columns:
- Coarse aggregate
- Fine aggregate
- Steel bar
Column Construction Process
- Constructing RCC (Reinforced Cement Concrete) column involves following four stages of works.
- Column layout work.
- Column reinforcement work.
- Column formwork.
- Pouring concrete into column.
- Column Layout Work
In this stage of works the location of columns are determined partially in field. It is done by laying rope according to grids in the drawing and then mark the location of columns related to rope.
- Column Reinforcement Work
After marking the column locations, we then start to place reinforcement as instructed in the structural drawing.
- Column Formwork
Column formwork is a term used for structures that are used to support forms or molds for poured concrete columns. It can be simple as a reinforced cardboard tube for small cylindrical columns or very complex forms constructed from many pieces of wood and metal.
- Pouring Concrete into Column
For small quantity of concrete volume we normally depend on machine-mix concrete and for large concrete quantity we order ready-mix concrete. Because, if you use moving pump with ready-mix concrete and if you want not to exceed 5 feet height range for dropping concrete that would be difficult.
Concrete which is moist cured for 7 days is about 50% stronger than uncured concrete.
A beam is a structural element that is capable of withstanding load primarily by resisting against bending. The bending force induced into the material of the beam as a result of the external loads, own weight, span and external reactions to these loads is called a bending moment.
Beam Construction Process
According to work arrangement laying of RCC beam can be done in 4 stages-
- Bending and Binding Steel Bars.
- Laying of Cement Concrete.
The formwork should be- To retain concrete, formwork or centering and shuttering is required.
- Bending and Binding Steel Bars
At the time of designing the slab, it is consider that concrete is strong in compressive strength but weak in tensile strength, so make the structure safe against the tensile stress, steel bars are provided.
- Laying of Cement Concrete
For small quantity of concrete volume we normally depend on machine-mix concrete and filing the beam.