- Vacuum sewerage systems is method of disposing of sewage in the sophisticated and reliable way.
- Alternative way of sewage disposal.
- Wide applications is future.
Vacuum Sewerage Systems
- Vacuum sewerage system works due to differential air pressure.
- Working of vacuum sewerage system.
- Based on differential air pressure.
- Interface valves works pneumatically.
- The main elements of vacuum sewerage system are:
- Collection chambers Interface Units.
- Vacuum lines/Hydro-pneumatic Transport.
- Vacuum Station.
Collection Chambers/Interface Units
- Function of collection chamber and interface units.
- Addition of air.
- Working of interface valve.
- Interface valves are membrane type.
- Diameter restricted to prevent clogging.
- Collection chamber at each house.
Vacuum Lines/Hydro-pneumatic Transport
- Vacuum sewer line work on the elevation profiles i.e. high or low points.
- Flow situations cannot be described by hydraulic laws.
- Conveyance take place by means of two phase regime.
- Sewers are laid in the form of saw-tooth profile.
- Gradual flow of sewage by “tooth by tooth” mechanism to the vacuum station.
- Usually HDPE or PVC pipes used.
- Inspection pipes at every 100m.
- Wastewater and air is driven to a collection tank at the vacuum station.
- Vacuum generators maintain vacuum in the tank.
- Only place where energy required.
- Vacuum pump maintains negative pressure.
- Vacuum pumps run only for few hours a day.
- Low investment costs.
- Saves material cost.
- Flexibility of piping.
- No pumping stations required for lifts.
- No odours, no corrosion of pipes, no danger.
- No manholes are required.
- Sedimentation, infiltration does not take place.
- Absolutely leakage free.
- Reduced installation time.
- No disturbance to inhabitants.
Fields of Application
- Especially difficult situations such as ribbon, peripheral settlement on flat terrain, with high pipe lengths of longer than 4 meters per inhabitant.
- Can pass through water protection areas and areas with sensitive high ground water table.
- Feasible solution in adverse gradient, unfavorable soil, missed ground inclinations.
- Rural areas where buildings are not close to each other as well as in the congested areas.
- Only solution for refurbishment of sewer systems.