What is Cement & Construction?
- Cement: A cement is a binder, a substance that sets and hardens independently, and can bind other materials together.
- Construction: Construction is a process that consists of the building or assembling of infrastructure.
Indian Cement Industry
India is the second-largest cement producing country in the world after China. In India, cement de,amd emanates from four keys segments:
- Commercial Construction
- Industrial Sector
Indian Construction Industry
- The construction industry is the second largest of the country after agriculture.
- It makes a significant contribution to the national economy and provides employment to large number of people.
- The use of various new technologies and deployment of project management strategies has made it possible to undertake projects of mega scale.
- In its path of advancement, the industry has to overcome a number of challenges.
Importance of Cement in Construction
- Cement is a very important building material used in the construction industry.
- Cement has replaced all other binding materials, for example, clay and lime. Cement is the strongest binding material.
- Cement is now used in many construction trade items like plain concrete, reinforced concrete, mortar, plaster, grouts, paints and in pre-cast elements.
- In an ordinary building construction the cement accounts to about 15-17% of the cost of construction. In some other major constructions like concrete roads and bridges, it is very much more.
Cement Manufactures Association (CMA)
- Cement Manufactures Association (CMA) is the most important apex body of cement manufactures in India which was established in 1961.
- It is a unique body in as much as it has been both the private and public sector cement companies as its members.
- CMA acts as a bridge between the Indian Cement Industry and the Government.
- Its registered office is in New Delhi, corporate office in Noida, branch offices are in Mumbai and Hyderabad.
Top Indian Cement Companies
- Ultratech Cement
- The India Cements
- Shree Cements
- Century Textiles
- Madras Cements
- Birla Cement
- Binani Cement
Top Global Cement Companies
- Anhui Conch
Trade Restriction in India
- Indian Cement Industry has witnessed an increase in its export. The international cement demand is derived in nature as it depends on the constructional activities, real estate, industrial activities.
- Indian Cement Industry has transited itself into more advanced one. The Indian Cement Industry is not only meeting the requirements arisen within the domestic territory but also fulfilling the burgeoning demands of the international arena.
- India also exporting good amount of Cement clinker and by products of cement. Due to the superlative quality, the Indian Cement has occupied the high position on the global map.
- Indian Cement Industry appears to be the highest taxed Cement Industry among the selected countries such as China/Hong Kong, Bangladesh, Etc. This makes prices of Indian Cement non-competitive vis-a-vs other countries in international market.
- Cement has been a de-controlled commodity and, therefore, it has been subject to forces of open market, i.e., ‘demand and supply’.