What is Civil Engineering??
It is one of the oldest disciplines of engineering which deals with designing, construction and maintenance of naturally and physically build environments such as airport, roads, bridges, dams, canals. Specifically, it can be described as the professional art of applying Mathematics and Science to create and make a better place for people to live in.
Why India producing Unemployable Engineers?
After the buzz over India’s mission to Mars and the Prime Minister’s high-decibel Make-in-India, both meant to be showcases of the nation’s engineering talent, here is the latest, grim reminder of the quality of freshly minted engineers:
- While 97% want jobs either in software or core engineering, only 3% are good enough to be engineers in software/product roles, and only 7% can handle core engineering tasks.
- Only 11% find jobs in knowledge-intensive sectors because their English skills are poor (74%), as are their analytical or quantitative skills (58%).
- A student from a tier-3 college will get 66,000 per annum less than a student of equal merit from a tier-1 college.
Skill gap and requirement gap
- Forbes has listed AI, ML and Cloud in the top 10 digital skills to possess as part of the emerging tech portfolio of skills. 25 million to 50 million jobs are going to be created in emerging tech worldwide and India alone will require 6 million to 12 million jobs in this space in the next decade according to a McKinsey study. However, the engineers of today are not being skilled right.
- A study by the analytics firm Aspiring Minds found that only 4.8% of candidates could write correct logic and less than 1.4% could write correct code.
What is the problem with India’s engineers?
There is a strong mismatch between the frameworks/ skills required by the corporate world and the ones being learned by students. In an internal study conducted with more than 1000 fresh engineers, we found that the most significant reason for not being able to find a Tech job was low confidence in being able to code.
Scope of Civil Engineering in Private Sector
A person after the required qualification can also go abroad to work in multinational companies such as MNCs in USA, Singapore, UAE where they can find technologically advanced learning and experience. The salary expectations after degree vary from institutes to job locations and also depends on the skills of the individual. The average salary of a Civil Engineer at entry-level in India is 3 lac p.a. A person who wishes to travel to the USA for a better package can score up to 18 lakhs per annum and in Singapore up to 12 lakhs per annum.