- Construction is the most dangerous land based work sector. The problem is not that the hazards and risks are unknown, it is that they are very difficult to control in a constantly changing work environment. So, in every year, many people fall victim to injury, harm and even death through accidents on construction sites.
- The construction industry, employing the largest labor force in the country has accounted for about 11% of all occupational injuries and 20% of all deaths resulting from occupational accidents. The cost of accidents is expensive. However, economic cost id not the only reason for which a contractor should be conscious of safety. The reasons for considering safety include.
- To study the safety management system, theory and procedures from the preparation of the site to the construction of the project.
- To save the life of construction workers by using the OHSE system commonly in our country.
- To study the accident theories which aim to clarify the accident phenomena and to explain the mechanism that lead to accidents.
Importance of Safety Issues
- Life & Property
- Proper management of construction works.
- Safe the total construction cost.
- Reduce workers compensation claims.
- Improved employee morale & satisfaction.
- Increased productivity.
- Reduced insurance cost.
- Continuous improvement
- Every job will be done safely
- All accidents are preventable.
Benefits of occupational health and safety at workplace
- Improvement of worker’s health behavior due to relaxed atmosphere in the work setting.
- Improved worker’s health.
- Improved workers moral and job-satisfaction.
- Improved workers efficiency and productivity.
- Lower sickness rates, lower accidents and injury rates.
- Reduced absenteeism, reduced labor turnover.
- Reduced health cost to the employee, the management and the employers.
- Improved corporate image and industrial relations.
- Lower compensation for occupational illnesses and injuries.
- Safety management is essential for the changes of work and attitudes.
- It develops a sense of safety in work activities.
- To develop clean habits.
- To increase efficiency in the use of tools, equipment’s and processes.
- To consider and implement useful and effective suggestions.
- To generate feelings of participation and job satisfaction.
- To achieve the goal of quality, productivity and profit.
Need of Safety
- Safety plays an important role in almost all the aspect of Civil Engineering.
- The construction industry, employing the largest labor force, has accounted for about 11% of all occupational injuries and 20% deaths resulting from occupational accidents.
- Provide safe environment to work.
- Contractors typically have design responsibility.
- Allow excavation and construction of structures in otherwise poor environment.
- Employee are able to get the types of benefits that are most appealing to them.
- Employees become more aware of the benefits offered by the company.
- Steel sheet piles are easily installed and removed.
- Materials can typically be reused on.
- Other projects
- Higher administrative cost.
- Employee may choose inappropriate benefit package.
- Chosen benefit maybe costly to maintain.