- Trenchless technology methods include all methods of installing or renewing underground utility systems with minimum disruption f the surface or subsurface.
- Trenchless technology consist of various methods, materials and equipment for inspection, utilization and rehabilitation.
- Trenchless technology has become popular for underground utility construction road crossings.
- In recent years, there has been remarkable progress in development of new trenchless technology equipment and methods.
Objective of Trenchless Technology
- Ease of Design
- Production Rates
- Extends Underground Assets
- Benefits Environment
Common problems at site are,
- Loss of invert walls, ceilings due to corrosion
- Leaking joints
- Shape deformation
- In adequate flow capacity
- Voids in embankment around and above the culvert
Hence before take the trenchless excavation work the site investigation must be made.
Techniques in Laying of Pipes
- Pipe Jacking
The term pipe jacking can be used to describe a specific installation technique as well as a process applicable to other trenchless technology.
- Auger Boring
If there are longer boring to be carried out or if the drilling precision has to be higher the borings are carried out as guided auger borings.
- Micro Tunneling
Pipes are jacked from a launch pit to a reception pit by means of a hydraulic jacking station in the launch pit.
- Pipe Ramming
Pipe ramming involves the use of the dynamic force and energy transmitted by a percussion hammer attached to the end of a pipe.
The procedure consists of four major steps-
- Soil excavation
- Soil Removal
- Segmental liner installations
- Line and grade control
Advantages of Trenchless technology
- Expenses and dates are much easier to calculate.
- Surface life stays mainly undisturbed.
- Up to 95 percent lesser load for landfills due to minimal excavations.
- Small stress for streets and traffic.
- Minimization of CO2 emissions.