- Material which is made from the extremely fine fibres of the basalt, which composed of pyroxene, minerals plagioclase and Olivine.
- Concrete is a composite material with a low tensile strength and a low strain limit.
- Similar to the carbon fibre and the fibre glass, which is having better physic mechanical properties than the fibre glass, but which is being significantly cheaper than the carbon fiber.
- Due to high corrosion resistance, high ductility and sufficient durability, FRC is widely used.
- There seems to be something quite poetic in using a fiber made from the natural rock to reinforce a material, which may quite reasonably being described as the artificial rock.
- Raw material for producing basalt fiber is the rock of a volcanic origin.
Property of basalt fiber
- Physical property
- Chemical properties
- Thermal resistance
- Mechanical strength
- Abrasion property
- Corrosion and fungi resistance
Scope of Basalt Rock Fibre
- Low cost, high performance fibers offer the potential to solve the largest problem in the cement and concrete industry, cracking and structural failure of concrete.
- Because of the higher performance and lower potential cost predicted for basalt fibers.
Basalt rock fibre manufacturing technique
- Basalt rock as raw material
- Technical properties
- Chemical composition basalt rock
- Region of basalt rock in India
- Plant layout
- Manufacturing process of continuous basalt fibre
- Process description
- The main characteristics of the plant
- High tensile strength, quite durable.
- Alkali & acids resistant
- High thermal conductivity.
- High thermal and acoustic insulation properties
- Excellent adhesion to polymer resins and rubbers
- Ecologically clean and non-toxic
Application of basalt fibers reinforced concrete
- Basalt has good electrical and sound insulating properties and chemical resistance, especially in strong alkalies.
- Basalt composite pipes can be used to transport corrosive liquids and gases.
- Field application of basalt fiber reinforcement includes concrete industrial concrete floors, runways in airport, motor way, industrial floors, in shops where equipment is used, internal reinforcement of tunnels and channels and military installation.
Advantages of basalt rock fibers
- They have no toxic action with air & water.
- Reduces the width of the cracks.
- The thickness of the concrete layer can be reduced to half.
- Very high chemical resistance.
- Basalt is the best reinforcement for concrete due to its tensile strength.
- The fibre can be easily mixed.
- Water absorption.
- Concrete beams reinforced with BFRP bars behave in ductile manner exhibiting large deflection at failure.
- The basalt fiber is now being popular choice for the material scientist for the replacement of steel and carbon fibres due to its high rigidity and low elongation or extension at break.
- So it is ecological friendly material. Basalt rock fibres have new range of material in building construction, road construction, concrete industry and agriculture field.
- The basalt fibre rebar having full resistance against corrosion may be good alternative for the reinforcement of concrete structures, like RC bridge girders subjected to an environmental attack.
- When in contact with other chemicals they may damage health or the environment.