Introduction of Transparent Concrete
- Transparent material means which can be seen from one part to another part.
- Light transmitting concrete also known as translucent concrete, is a concrete based building material having light-transmissive property.
- It is a new technique different from normal concrete. Translucent concrete allow more light and less weight compared to normal concrete.
- It is available as prefabricated building blocks and panels.
- It is used in floors, pavements, ceiling, load-bearing walls, partition walls, etc.
Materials which is used for Transparent Concrete
- The two basic materials are-
- Fine concrete
- Optical fibres
- Fine concrete: Cement & fine aggregate (sand).
- Optical fibres: There are 3 kinds
- Multimode graded-index fibre
- Multimode step-index fibre
- Single-mode step-index fibres
Principles for Transparent Concrete
- Transparent concrete works based on “Nano-Optics”.
- Fibres are placed directly on top of each other.
- Fibres acts like silts & carry light throughout.
Manufacturing Process of Transparent Concrete
- Almost same as regular concrete
- Concrete are poured into the mould in layers.
- On top of each layers, a layer of fibres is infused.
- Fibre & concrete are alternately inserted into moulds at intervals of approx. 2mm to 5mm.
- Adding 4% to 5% optical fibres by volume into the concrete mixture.
- The concrete mixture is made from fine aggregate & cement.
- 1000’s of strands of optical fibres are cast into concrete.
- Smaller or thinner layers allow an increased amount of light to pass through the concrete.
- The casted material is cut into panels or blocks & polished.
Experimental Setup which is used to find the Transparent Concrete
- Choosing a desired mould.
- Make a needed design.
- Attach clay on the bottom of the mould.
- Induce optical fibre cables at desired shape.
- After that pour fine concrete at its approximate ratio.
- Set to dry and allow to curing.
Applications of Transparent Concrete
- Floors, pavements and load-bearing walls.
- Facades, interior wall cladding & dividing walls.
- Partitions wall.
- In furniture.
- Light sidewalks at night.
- Illuminating speed bumps.
Advantages of Transparent Concrete
- Energy saving can be done by utilization of transparent concrete in building.
- It has very good architectural properties for giving good aesthetical view to the building.
- Highest UV resistance.
Disadvantages of Transparent Concrete
- Concrete is very costly
- Skilled labour needed
- Developed by adding optical fibre or large diameter glass fibre.
- Good light guiding property.
- It doesn’t loose the strength parameter also it has very vital property from the aesthetic point of view.
- Concept of green energy saving.
- Its initial cost is high. But, routine maintenance is not required and in long run it may be advantageous.
- In future the it’s cost is expected to decrease.